Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Music of the Curls

Has your mind ever been so full of ideas that you can't seem to get it to focus on any one thing?  That's kinda how my mind has been this week.  However, in the interest of giving you something interesting to look at, here's a song list I've been working on.  You don't have to listen to them all, but I think it's an AMAZING playlist.  These are some of my absolute favorite songs ever:
  1. "Haven't Met You Yet" - Michael Bublé
  2. "Handlebars" - Flobots
  3. "Good Morning" - Chamillionaire
  4. "Just Dance" - Lady Gaga
  5. "SOS" - Mamma Mia!
  6. "I Don't Wanna Be In Love" - Good Charlotte
  7. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey
  8. "[AHEM] Off Song" - Reel Big Fish
  9. "Thanks For the Memories" - Fall Out Boy
  10. "Can I Have This Dance" - High School Musical
  11. "Forget You" - Cee Lo Green
  12. "The Middle" - Jimmy Eat World
  13. "Take A Chance On Me" - Abba
  14. "Big Yellow Taxi" - Counting Crows
  15. "Shake It" - Metro Station
  16. "Pray For You" - Jaron and the Long Road to Love
  17. "Drops of Jupiter" - Train
  18. "Why Should I Worry" - Oliver and Company
  19. "Harder to Breathe" - Maroon 5
  20. "Billionaire" - Travie McCoy
  21. "Everytime We Touch" - Cascada
I'll apologize for anything in any of the videos.  I didn't actually watch most of them.  I was just getting them for the songs.

Yes, I chose the "Mamma Mia!" version of "SOS".  Yes, I realize Pierce Brosnan is not the greatest singer mankind has ever been blessed with, but I think his style really fits the song and I like this version significantly more than the original Abba version.  I think the male voice adds a lot.

With regards to #8, if you're offended by "bad" words, I'm sorry, but get over it.  There's no reason why certain words are bad and certain words aren't and anyone who tells you differently you can send to argue with me.  That's one of my favorite debates to have (which I will likely post about on here some day).

If you're surprised at all by "Big Yellow Taxi" being on here, you haven't been paying much attention to my posts over the last couple of weeks.

And, of course, no great playlist would be complete without the appearance of at least one Disney song.  Hence, the appearance of "Can I Have This Dance" (which is possibly the only song that can make me cry) and "Why Should I Worry" (which just makes me want to get up and dance around).






While I'm sitting here with the subject just staring me in the face, I'm gonna take a stab at a requested topic brought to you by my bestest friend.  Here's a song you should listen to to set the mood:
"Sell Out" - Reel Big Fish
Having spent a lot of time around people that could effectively be labeled "hipsters" (i.e. they think things are better simply because other people have not discovered them), I have heard much hate for the "mainstream".  HipsTerry (my archnemesis of the music genre) will tell you that all mainstream music sounds the same.  Basically, if everyone likes it, it's not original.

Terry will also tell you that there are several bands he hates because of some style problems.  These style problems include at least one band that he hates because they completely changed their style in order to become more popular and make more money and at least one band that he hates because they play several different styles of music.  Both of these style problems are absolutely WRONG as far as I'm concerned and are an insult to professional musicians as a whole.

Hating on the group that can't choose a style is easy to argue against.  They don't fit a mold, but if they are making it that way, they appeal to a larger audience and prove themselves to be better musicians.  DUH!

Changing your style in order to make more money is often called selling out.  This has some very negative connotations thanks to people like HipsTerry.  As far as I'm concerned, "selling out" is simply a negative phrase for adapting.  As I have ranted about with the church, everything and everyone must adapt to the ever changing world.

If you want to make it as a "rockstar", you're gonna have to do the same as they do in every entertainment industry:  fit what people want.  I'm sorry to tell you, if you want to be completely 100% true to your artistic style, there is a good chance you will never make it in the entertainment industry.  The public is so fickle that until you have made it big and are a household name, you cannot do whatever you want and have enough people like it to make a living.  I'm sorry.  It simply won't happen.

If you want to remain completely 100% committed to yourself and the type of music you love, music will only ever be a hobby.  You probably won't make it.  That's fine.  Music is a great hobby, but the truth is you cannot make it without "selling out".

I'm really quite afraid to think about the philosophical ramifications of that last statement.

Are you willing the sell out or are you simply interested in a hobby?

3 comments:

  1. Andrew jackson jihad. One of my favorites. Listen to him and tell me please that you cannot make a living with 100% your own music. I believe you can. ESPECIALLY because we have so many 'hipsters' listening to the worlds music

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly stipulate to the fact that you CAN make a living with 100% your own music. I'm simply saying that it's not likely. Most people that don't "sell out" at least a little bit don't make it in the entertainment industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need you to do the post mentioned on how some words are seemingly arbitrarily determined to be "bad" or "good." I feel we will have similar opinions on that topic, only you will express them 10 times better, so you should write that post, and I will link it all over the interwebs.

    Hipsters make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete