Monday, September 5, 2011

Second Nature

I just got back from a long weekend away, and I'm really tired.  I seriously debated about whether or not I was going to post at all.  Then, during my six hour drive back, I was struck by an odd thought that I need to get into writing before I forget it.  I figured you guys would at least pretend to be interested in it.

It all started when they read this verse on one of the programs I was listening to:
"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."  Matthew 6:3 (NIV)
Let me start off by saying that Matthew 6 is an absolutely amazing chapter of the Bible that you should go and read in its entirety right now.  It's chalk full of advice that the world as a whole has basically forgotten, including this little gem.

Basically, this verse is about not making a big deal about doing good works.  Imagine just how quiet you would have to keep your actions in order to prevent a part of your body from knowing what's going on.  THAT would be impressive.  It would be especially impressive in a world where there are so few truly good acts that whenever people do them, they feel like there should be a Hallelujah chorus and the entire world should pat them on the back.

That lesson, however, has been beaten to death by theologians across time.  You should know by now that I'm not really a fan of simply rehashing old ideas.

People often talk about doing your works in secret so that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.  The thought that struck me tonight was this:  What is you did works so that one hand doesn't notice what the other is doing.

You are now probably thinking one of three things:
  1. Ah, I understand.  You are most wise.
  2. Dude, you just said the same thing twice!
  3. There's no way he's gonna guess what I'm thinking!
If you are of the first persuasion, thank you.  I try.  If you are of the third persuasion, I got you you smart alecky little snot!  If you are of the second persuasion, I'll explain.  The key thing to notice between the two statements is what the one hand is not doing.  Look at them side by side:
Do good works so that the one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
Do good works so that the one hand doesn't notice what the other is doing.
The important change is from know to notice.

What are some things you do that you don't notice?  Breathing, blinking, digesting, etc.  These are things that your body does automatically without you having to make a conscious effort to do them.  There are other things, however, that you don't notice until you can't do them.  Using your toes to keep your balance; bending your fingers to grasp something; moving your legs to walk from one place to another; opening and closing your jaw to break up your food; etc.  These are things that you can do consciously, but often don't actually think that much about them.

Imagine if doing good works was like that.  Imagine if doing good works was so much a part of your life that you didn't even notice you were doing it.  Imagine if it were just second nature like extending one leg after the other hits the ground.  Imagine if even if your left hand knew what your right hand was doing, it didn't think about it, because that was a part of it's typical actions.

What would the world be like if doing good works was second nature?

Just something to chew on.

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I think I'm falling in love with you. Er, I mean, your blog.

    This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete