Monday, September 9, 2013

The Brine of Pickled Fish

I think tomatoes are gross, but they are absolutely nothing compared to the atrocity that is ketchup.

According to Wikipedia, the word ketchup comes from a Chinese word meaning the brine of pickled fish which pretty much says everything you need to know about it.  Originally, it had nothing to do with tomatoes, but today it's mad from tomatoes, vinegar, the tears of demon children, and other assorted spices (depending on who makes it).  In the early 19th century, ketchup was more popular than fresh tomatoes.  Apparently, people were afraid that it was unsafe to eat raw tomatoes.

My disgust of ketchup goes far beyond a simple dislike for the way it tastes.  I have something closer to a ketchup-phobia.  It makes me want to puke when I simply touch it.  I can't believe when I see people eating it, and it disgusts me when I think about it ending up on any of my stuff.

I truly believe that ketchup in an abomination and a crime against nature.

But as long as they keep it away from me, I've never stopped anyone else from eating it.

Just a little something to think about this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment