Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Own Advice

I metaphorically banged my head against the blank page on which I was supposed to write today's post for nearly an hour trying to decide what to write about.  It seems, however, like everything I thought of would simply be a rehash of something I've already written.

That's when I started to realize the trend.

My best friend asked me about yesterday's post.  His question was whether or not I took my own "someday advice" with regard to a particular issue.  My honest answer was no.

I then did what I normally do.  I spent an unhealthy amount of time considering the philosophical ramifications of that statement.  I rarely take my own advice.  In fact, one could argue that the main person for whom I am writing that advice is myself.  Often times when I'm posting stuff talking about how people "should" act or live their life or something like that, I'm posting about things I would like to change about myself.

And my hope is that someday, I'll make those changes.  It seems I'm still haunted by that awful word.

I have to believe, however, that if I'm going through something or want to change something about myself, someone else out there is feeling the same way.  If you then apply the ultimately circular logic of all my arguments, there are other people out there that don't follow their own advice.  The question you have to ask yourself is very simple:  Do you?

When you tell someone that there is something they should do, are you actively trying to do that as well?  Here's the bigger question:  Does the fact that I often don't follow my own advice call the validity of that advice into question?

People have been debating that question for centuries.  Does a serial killer have any right to tell you not to hurt someone?  Is the town gossip a credible person to tell you that spreading rumors is wrong?  Does the fact that it is the town gossip telling you this mean that spreading rumors isn't wrong?

Ultimately, my view on the subject is something like this:

Many coaches used to be good players.  However, as the old saying goes, those who can't do teach.  I have met many a coach that cannot do the things they tell their players to do.  How many cross country coaches ride bikes along the course they force their runners to run?  How many lineman coaches could even get in a three-point stance?  Often, from what I've seen, some of the best coaches are people that can't necessarily do the thing themselves.  However, they do understand what it takes to do it.  They may not be able to shoot a three pointer, but they can tell you how.  Does the fact that someone can't lift a thousand pounds call into credibility the method by which they show others to lift?  Personally, I don't think so.

Obviously, since I'm giving the advice, I know how to make the changes I wish to make.  So why can't I make them?

I'm too damn comfortable.

How many times have you been sitting on a couch and thought, "Man, some chips would be awesome right about now!  But I'm way too comfortable to get up and go get them.  If I get up, even if I make it all the way to the kitchen and back, I won't be able to get back into this same comfy position!  There's no way!"

Ok, maybe I'm the only one who actually thinks through it that much, but I know I'm not the only one who refuses to change their situation, even in a positive way, because they are too comfortable with the way things are.
"Eventually, someone will walk by, and I can ask them to get me chips.  Then I won't have to get uncomfortable and I still get the chips!"
"Someday, I'll be able to make those changes without leaving my comfort zone!"
Someday.

I'm haunted by that awful word.

No comments:

Post a Comment