Saturday, August 27, 2011

Someday

As I was rereading this post, I couldn't help but think of this song:
If Today Was Your Last Day
I was reading an interesting article/list-type thing.  In the interest of full disclosure, here's the page:
Life's Instructions
I found most of these little pieces of advice to be very helpful.  I found myself on more than one of them thinking to myself, "I would love to do that someday."  That's when I realized I say that a lot.  Also, I doubt if I'm the only one.  I've heard it from other people:
  • "I'll go visit that place someday."
  • "I'll write a novel someday."
  • "I'll be on TV someday."
  • "I'll tell that person how I really feel someday."
  • "I'll follow my dreams someday."
I've found myself wondering quite a bit lately:  What if Someday was today?

Think about it.  Think back to all of the times you've ever said that you would do something someday.  What if you did all of those things today?  How great would it be if you were able to say and do all the things you've been putting off?  What if you got to visit that place?  What if you wrote that novel?  What if you made it on TV?  What if that person knew how you fell?  What if you were to follow your dreams?

Here's the better question:  What's holding you back?

I can tell you the thing that holds me back from doing the things that I say I will do someday is fear.  I'm afraid of the consequences of doing those things.  What if I run out of money because of this silly little thing?  What if that person doesn't feel the same way?  What if I fail?

Here's where my favorite question comes in:  So what if you fail?

I find myself haunted by the word someday.  Most of us think of it as some day way off in the future.  It's a day when we no longer have to worry about the consequences.

What if today is your last day?

What if Someday was today?

1 comment:

  1. Strangely, my first thought was, "oh crap! What if Someday was YESTERDAY?? I've missed it!!!"

    But I totally empathize, as you pointed out, most people probably do.

    I feel too, that along with that fear is just this sense of wanting security...like, yeah, I would like to do those things, but they could potentially mess up the life I've tried to so carefully mold together.

    Ugh.

    Also, hello, sir. :) I didn't realize you blog, and I'm super excited to read along!

    ReplyDelete